- Friends who went to an anime convention with a man who tested positive for Omicron also got sick, he says.by The New York Times on December 4, 2021 at 9:58 pm
Most of the infected had traveled to southern Africa recently, but health officials are bracing for the inevitable community spread.
- Palestinian Who Stabs Israeli in East Jerusalem Is Killed by Policeby Patrick Kingsley on December 4, 2021 at 9:55 pm
The incident, captured in videos, was at least the fifth such knife attack in Jerusalem since September.
- Yes, There’s a Blizzard Warning in Hawaii. No, It’s Not That Weird.by Maria Cramer on December 4, 2021 at 9:24 pm
The National Weather Service said roughly a foot of snow was expected to fall on the Big Island summits. “We do get snow there pretty much every year,” one local meteorologist said.
- When Michigan Beat Ohio State, I Cried Tears of Joyby Jane Coaston on December 4, 2021 at 8:39 pm
The euphoria of a big win, explained.
- Michigan Shooting Suspect’s Parents Are Arrested and Arraignedby Gerry Mullany, Eduardo Medina and Sophie Kasakove on December 4, 2021 at 8:27 pm
The couple were taken into custody early Saturday in Detroit, after the police received a tip. They pleaded not guilty to involuntary manslaughter charges.
- More Than 40,000 March in Vienna Against Coronavirus Restrictionsby Isabella Grullón Paz on December 4, 2021 at 8:06 pm
Protesters gathered for a second weekend of mass demonstrations against the country’s tough lockdown and a coming vaccine mandate.
- Biden Can Do Better on Covidby Ross Douthat on December 4, 2021 at 8:00 pm
The administration has been a victim of events. But it has also cooperated in its own victimization.
- When Did Spotify Wrapped Get So Chatty?by Gina Cherelus on December 4, 2021 at 7:59 pm
This year’s data dump from the streaming music service leaned heavily on contemporary buzzwords and slang — and inspired many, many memes.
- Spy Tool Was Deployed in State-Sponsored Hack of Ugandansby Abdi Latif Dahir on December 4, 2021 at 7:44 pm
Two journalists and one politician said they received alerts warning them of “state-sponsored” attacks on their iPhones. At least one of those attacks was linked to the powerful Israeli cyberespionage tool, Pegasus.
- Black Man Wins New Trial Over Confederate Memorabilia in Jury Roomby Vimal Patel on December 4, 2021 at 7:04 pm
A Tennessee appeals court granted Tim Gilbert a new trial after jurors deliberated in a room named after the United Daughters of the Confederacy.
- The Variant Hunters: Inside South Africa’s Effort to Stanch Dangerous Mutationsby Stephanie Nolen on December 4, 2021 at 6:53 pm
Scientists in a cutting-edge laboratory do part of the work. Local health workers on foot do the rest.
- Facing Economic Collapse, Afghanistan Is Gripped by Starvationby Christina Goldbaum on December 4, 2021 at 6:53 pm
An estimated 22.8 million people — more than half the country’s population — are expected to face potentially life-threatening food insecurity this winter. Many are already on the brink of catastrophe.
- Money Found by Plumber at Joel Osteen’s Church Is Tied to 2014 Burglary, Police Sayby Michael Levenson on December 4, 2021 at 5:28 pm
The discovery was revealed when the plumber called into a Houston radio show on Thursday.
- At Least One Dead as Indonesia’s Mount Semeru Eruptsby Aina J. Khan and Muktita Suhartono on December 4, 2021 at 5:20 pm
Dozens more suffered burns as lava flowed from the eruption of Mount Semeru, on the island of Java.
- Believe It or Not, I Like Some Things in Our Progressive Eraby John McWhorter on December 4, 2021 at 4:56 pm
It’s good to acknowledge our past and our diversity.
- Critical Moment for Roe, and the Supreme Court’s Legitimacyby Adam Liptak on December 4, 2021 at 4:45 pm
As justices consider Mississippi’s restrictive abortion law, scholars debate what a reversal of Roe v. Wade would mean for the court’s credibility.
- Denzel Washington, Man on Fireby Maureen Dowd on December 4, 2021 at 4:40 pm
The actor never leans in — he’s all in. And in his latest, “Macbeth,” conjured by Joel Coen, he is as sharp and deadly as a dagger.
- Omicron Is Another Waiting Game for Parentsby Jessica Grose on December 4, 2021 at 4:30 pm
A worrisome week in news.
- What Biden Isn’t Saying About Trump’s Positive Covid Testby Jamelle Bouie on December 4, 2021 at 4:13 pm
The former president’s reckless behavior deserves more attention.
- U.S. Intelligence Sees Russian Plan for Possible Ukraine Invasionby Michael Crowley on December 4, 2021 at 4:00 pm
An invasion force could include 175,000 troops, but U.S. officials stress that President Vladimir V. Putin’s intentions remain unclear.
- Josh Hawley and the Republican Obsession With Manlinessby Liza Featherstone on December 4, 2021 at 4:00 pm
The Missouri senator is tapping into something real — a widespread, politically potent anxiety about young men that is already helping the right.
- Paris Hilton reckons with her legacy — and so should we
- Covid-19 News: Live Updates